Saturday 25 October 2014

DUCK...I mean GULL!

An idea I "borrowed" from the NW England BHG Project was to add an email address to our colour-rings in order increase the chances of getting reports if someone ever got a good photo or found a bird dead.

Well, it's paid off. Earlier today I got an email from Clare Vet Group in Ballyclare. The email told me they had taken possession of a bird which was fitted with a ring with my email address inscribed on it, asking me to call them.

I phoned the clinic and spoke to Oonagh, the veterinary nurse, who told me that 2BJX had been hit by a golf ball at Ballyearl in Newtownabbey and had a broken wing.

This bird was ringed as a chick at Castle Espie in June this year by Eimear Rooney.

Red - WWT Castle Espie, Co. Down
Yellow - Ballyearl Golf Course, Co. Antrim

After chatting to the vet, Ciaran, it was decided that the best course of action was to euthanize the bird on welfare grounds. While this is obviously a disappointing end, it does highlight some of the trails and tribulations young gulls have to face in order to survive to adulthood.

Many thanks to Clare Vet Group for getting in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment