Friday 28 December 2012

A bit of festive ringing

I spent the morning at my catching site last Friday (21 December) and had a bit of success, catching seven new adult birds (three females and four males).

I was very happy with this total as about 45 minutes of my morning was disturbed by two coach loads of Chinese tourists, a couple of whom spent most of their time trying to get their photographs taken near the birds or running down the marina shouting and waving their hands and scaring the birds off! It did give me a good excuse to go grab a coffee though.

As well as managing to ring seven new birds, I also re-sighted four birds which had been ringed previously, 2AAA, 2ADJ, 2AAJ and 2AAH.

Yesterday I got a couple of text messages from my ringing trainer, Neville, and a local bird photographer, Bill Guiller, who both told me a photo of one of my study birds had been posted on a Facebook page for Northern Irish bird photographers (see here).

I had a quick look and sure enough, there was an image of 2AAT.  This was a male bird and the last one I caught and ringed on 21 December.

Bill passed on my details to Chris Smith, the observer, who has kindly sent me a copy of his photo which he as allowed me to use here.

Photo by Chris Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment