Monday 14 January 2013

Black-tailed Godwit - OG-WY

On Saturday morning I undertook the monthly survey at Whitehouse Lagoon as part of the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS).

It was much colder than it has been recently but my frozen fingers were worth it when I noticed a colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit amongst the flock of waders which were roosting and feeding on the lagoon.


As you can see, the bird had orange over green on the left leg and white over a yellow flag on the right.


I contacted the guys in charge of the Icelandic Godwit colour-ringing project and was very impressed with the quick response from Tómas Gunnarsson, (less than 5 minutes!) who told me that the bird had been ringed in Iceland.  A follow up email from Pete Potts confirmed that it had been ringed in north Iceland on 11th July 2012 near Langhus, SW of Siglufjordur.


 
This bird was one of a brood of at least two and here is a photo which Pete send me of both birds as they were being ringed.

Photo by Pete Potts
 
Pete also sent me this photograph of where the birds were ringed. What a place! Is it any wonder Iceland is probably my favourite country in the world?!
 
Stunning.
 
Photo by Pete Potts
 
You can find out more about colour-ringing Icelandic Godwits as part of Project Jadrakan by clicking the photo below: 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment